Saturday 2 June 2012

Quilt - 12 years in the making



I finally got out my first quilt again to have a go at finishing it. I started it over 10 years ago in 2000!! The quilt is a pattern from a Kaffe Fasset book that I bought after going to one of his lectures, with my Mum (I met him and had the book signed!) He was very inspiring and  I loved his use of colour and pattern and decided to give it a go.
I worked on it randomly for 2 years, loved the process of choosing fabric and sewing it together but he had used the paper piecing method where you sew directly onto paper. This was great for sewing together without accurately cutting out fabric but you then have to spend hours picking it off the back.  The quilt had a three year stay at my mum’s house as she also made the same quilt (with very different results) and she slowly worked at picking off the paper for me!
Recently,  I have made a single bed quilt top for my son’s room, (fabric chosen 2 years ago) and was inspired to get this original on the go again and finish it! So with all the paper picked off and a new border added it’s time to start quilting…. Just have to work out how to do that!!
These photos of the quilt show it pinned up against a window, as Kaffe Fassett pinned his up and never quilted it. He liked how it looked like stained glass, so used it as a blind. It does look pretty. Very tempting to leave it like this but I want to finish it as a quilt more.



No comments:

Post a Comment